Do the following exercises in order without skipping steps. The goal is to keep the dog comfortable the ENTIRE TIME. You want this to be like learning a trick. As the dog gets better and more excited to continue on, we progress through the steps. If the dog at any time is uncomfortable, go back a few steps to where the dog is comfortable and work that step a few more times before moving on.
Hints & Tips
- Use no more than pea sized treats since you will be using so many
- Each head halter will be fitted by the behavior team. Head halters are supposed to fit very snug so please do not resize them. If you think a halter is too tight, ask a member of the behavior team and they will double check the size with you.
- Show the dog the head collar. Treat.
- Touch the dog’s neck ad show the dog the head collar. Treat.
- Touch the back of the dog’s head with the head collar. Treat.
- Touch the dog’s nose with the head collar. Treat.
- Attach the head collar around your dog’s neck, but like a regular collar – just let the nose loop hang down. Treat. Take it off after 1 second. Treat.
- Repeat the above, taking it off after 2 seconds. Treat.
- Feed the dog a treat through the head collar (from now on, the treats you give will all be through the nose loop of the head collar
- Put a bit more of the nose loop over the dog’s muzzle. Treat.
- Leave the nose loop on for a 1/2 second longer. Repeat this step until the dog will allow the nose loop on the face for several seconds. Treat, Treat, Treat the entire time.
- Put the nose loop on the dog’s muzzle and then bring the straps behind the head, without clipping them. Immediately release. Treat, Treat, Treat!
- Repeat the above, keeping the head collar on the dog 1/2 second longer each time, until they can do it for several seconds. Treat while you wait. Treat, Treat, Treat!
- Put the head collar on all the way. Toss a ball or feed treats. Take a step, then take the head collar off. Treat, Treat, Treat!
- Do steps 11 and 12 several times without hooking a leash to the head collar
- When the dog loves putting the head collar on, do step 12 and treat, then hook the leash to the collar, treat ad remove. Do several times.
- Finally, walk the dog taking one step at a time and treat after every step. Slowly progress to treating every few steps and walk further. Treat, Treat, Treat. Slowly remove treats as dog becomes comfortable.